SM under fire for using BTS' name on their MEDIA PLAY methods to promote their group
Both BTS and NCT are the victims for this unappropriate action of SM - One of the biggest agencies in the Kpop scene.
"Media play" is not a strange definition to Kpop fans, which means the act of an agency cooperate with the media to publish articles that can flatter the idols' names and achievements, sometimes they even distort some informations and make scandals to get attention. Normally, every time the artists are about to release an album, new song or a new movie, the company will hire the media to write a series of articles about them to promote their images and let everyone know that their artists are famous!
Recently, Kpop fans thought that SM Entertainment has gone too far. Here is the content that were under Kpop fans' anger:
"NCT who debuted in 2016 have already a delivered results that distinguishes themselves from BTS' results 2 years in their debut. NCT have released 4 albums and sold 410K copies breaking a record.
NCT will not only work inside Korea this year, they will debut new units of different nationalities and have their own national "flavor" in it. They will set one foot in the door to be regconized as top idols domestically and internationally.
Meanwhile, the expectations are high for NCT to follow the popularity of EXO. Actually if we compare EXO's current popularity to BTS, there is no big gaps. However, if we examine BTS' growth story, we think that the fans can anticipate from NCT much more and our expectations will be excessively high".
BTS is one of the most popular boy group in Korea and overseas
SM mentioned BTS rudely in their content as a new milestone for NCT, what made international fans really angry and they don't understand how SM Entertainment can reveal such a sensitive content like that.
Let's check out some Kpop fans' comments:
- "Do they think that BTS and NCT's roads are the same?... If you want to compare, at least do it with something comparable. I'm not saying this to bash NCT, but the group's directions are just too different why are they looking forward to NCT to follow BTS' growth story?"
- "SM, just compare among yourselves, even their producers, why are all of them nothing but crazy people?"
- "I'm cringing ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ"
- "So basically they're BTS wannabes, not EXO"
- "No but I"m so used to seeing people mediaplaying with BTS all the time, but this is a rare case ㅋㅋㅋㅋ Are they acting up because their stock prices dropped? ㅋㅋㅋㅋ What decade are we now? Are we still mediaplaying like this? ㅋㅋㅋㅋ"
- "They didn't even start at the same place in the first place ㅋㅋㅋㅋ I know that it's hard to debut whether you're in a big or a small company, but 2 years in a small company isn't the same thing as 2 years in a big company. Even during their 3rd year, we didn't expect BTS to become that big ㅋㅋㅋ They should just compare singers within their company, this made me realize how big BTS became"
- "Not EXO, but BTS ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Their standards are hopeless ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
NCT was also infected by SM Entertainment with their mediaplay strategy